Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Thursday, January 01, 2009

A Meme about me.

Like the person whose blog I found this on, I don't usually do these either ... but this is an Aussie flavoured one, and took my fancy ...

( I found it here JMcK Crafts: A Meme about me. )

It didn't have a big list of rules ... just join in if you want, and she highlighted the ones she had done, but I got fancy and did colours and added comments

- done, have not done, not sure/depends how you interpret it, and my comments (if any) that I added to it ... makes it a bit harder to copy it and join in - but you can always go where I got if from and copy it from there - LOL

1. Started your own blog. several, but this is the main one ... and this and the other blogger ones are the only ones I post much to (the others were just ones I created to see if I liked how they worked/what they looked like - and I didn't - lol)
2. Slept under the stars. lots of times.
3. Played in a band. does a pretend one count? - I was in the school musical the year we did "76Trombones" and I was in the chorus - we were all meant to be the members of a marching band or somesuch ...
4. Visited The Great Barrier Reef.
5. Stood under the stars in the outback, the real outback – think Uluru. stood, walked, slept ... even worked up there as a Jillaroo for a while ... and I stood on top of Uluru and watched the sun set once too ...
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to the Gold Coast’s theme parks – anyone, you take your pick. went to one, once ...
8. Climbed a mountain. (not the high snowy sort you need a Sherpa for ... but some of the hills I have walked up have names and are officially mountains (not hard for a hill to be high enough to be a mountain when the whole area is already fairly high above sea level ;-)
9. Held a praying mantis. (I have even let them walk around ON my face - lol) I even had a baby one in my hand once, while it caught and ate the half dead stick insect that I put on my hand with it - lol (the mantis came from the garden (I often find them out there), and the stick insect was one of the ones I was keeping as pets - but it had got stuck while moulting and wasn't going to live more than a few hours more anyway)
10. Sung a solo. does singing in the shower count? (if I sing where anyone can hear me I get told to stop!)
11. Bungee jumped, jumped out of plane, been paragliding or hang-gliding, hot air ballooning – you get the idea, you’ve been hundreds of metres about earth in a seemingly flimsy contraption.
(been ballooning, and I want to go skydiving, hang gliding, paragliding, fly ultra-lights, etc ... bungee jumping sounds a bit painful - that can't be good for one's back ... but I might do it if someone pays me to - lol)
12. Visited Melbourne. I lived there for a few years - got married there, had a child there ... them moved up here ...
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea. (the storm was at sea, but I wasn't ...)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. most of the quilty/crafty things I do are self taught (read stuff on the net, talk to others who do it, etc ... there are also some things I have been "taught" by other members of craft groups I was in at the time)
15. Had a child. Raised a child. Worked with children. (I have 2 teenage kids and work at a high school - LOL)
16. Had food poisoning. (I thought I did once, but it only lasted an hour or so, then the same thing happened a week later when I ate the same thing from the same place, and DH ate it both times and was ok - so it must have been an allergy to something in whatever it was ... some weird spice or something maybe - I never did work out what it was)
17. Been to the Snowy Mountains. even went camping in them.
18. Grown your own vegetables. have tomato plants just outside the front door at the moment! ... have also grown radishes and pumpkins and parsley and stuff ... and the spuds (potatos) just keep popping up all over the veggetable garden every year becasue I never find them all from the one before ...
19. Visited the Brett Whitely studio in Surry Hills, Sydney.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus. and it wasn't a sleeper berth on the train either! (I think they make the seats uncomfortable on purpose, so you will pay for a sleeper next time - lol)
21. Had a pillow fight.
22. Been backpacking. the overnight bushwalking sort, not the around the world sort ... yet ... lol
23. Taken a mental health day.
24. Been buried in sand with just your head and toes sticking out. there may have been a few other bits poking out too - it was the kids, when they were little - burying "Mummy" while she is lying on the beach is fun - lol
25. Held a possum, kangaroo or koala – or any other native Australian animal. all of those, and various lizards, birds, etc and a wombat too I think ...
26. Gone skinny dipping.
27. Been in a fun run.
28. Been on the Blue Mountain cableway.
29. Seen a total eclipse. (in South Australia back in the 70's)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. I have sat and watched a few ... ones over the sea are good (seen sunrise and sunset over the sea) and I often walk the dog while the sun is setting - and if it is a pretty one I take lots of photos - lol ... I have seen more sunsets than sun rises ... something to do with the fact that I usually stay up late and don't get up that early very often - lol
31. Played, or watched, summer cricket. does watching it on TV count? (although I think I may have watched a bit of a match my brother was playing in once)
32. Sailed, kayaked or canoed our beautiful waterways. Had a catamaran and sailed in a few lakes and stuff, was even a member of a yacht club for a while. I have kayaked and canoed on a few rivers lakes/etc too ... and I actually learnt to sail a catamaran in the sea (at the beach not offshore) ... all a few years ago now - time I did some more of that sort of stuff! - although I did paddle a couple of canoes/kayaks/surf skis etc around in Sydney Harbour with a group of Scouts about this time last year ...
33. Seen the Daintree.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. (yes if you count my parents - I was born in the same city as they were ... but have not been back to where my more distant ones originally came from)
35. Visited an Aboriginal settlement or mission.
36. Learned a new language. Is morse code a "language"? - if it is - then my answer is yes! I also did a year or 2 of German at High School ... but then had to drop it to do another subject I needed ... and have learnt a few words/etc of a few other languages ... but have never learnt enough of one to actually understand people talking it/etc
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. only when I was a little kid and a dollar was a lot of money - lol
8. Toured the Sydney Opera House. I have been there, but can't remember if I ever did a tour of it.
39. Tried rock climbing (indoor or outdoor), abseiling or just simple bush walking. I have even been abseiling IN a cave - lol
40. Visit Queensland’s Gallery of Modern Art.
41. Been to the Tamworth Country Music Festival. been to Tamworth a few times, just not while the festival was on.
42. Sunbaked at Bondi. been to Bondi, but have not sunbaked there - I prefer to swim or walk or build sand castles rather than just lie and do nothing while I get sunburnt!
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant.
44. Visited Broome.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. and by starlight/the glow of the atmosphere - it was a moonless night but the sky was bright and full of a zillion stars!
46. Been transported in an ambulance. I have been in one but I wasn't the patient, my son was (he broke his arm) and I went to the hospital with him.
47. Had your portrait painted. I think someone did a pencil sketch of me once ...
48. Gone fishing. DH and I even did that for our honeymoon! (it was what we both wanted to do ... well - our first choice out of the list of the stuff we COULD afford - lol)
49. Seen Tasmania’s old growth forests. if there are any near the road from Hobart to Port Arthur I may have seen them from the bus as it went past ... lol
50. Been to the top of Q1, on the Gold Coast.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling. too long ago ... sigh
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud. did that lots as a kid ... and a few times since ... the dog and I play in the mud when it rains - I throw rocks into puddles and he fetches them! ... or if they are too big to pick up he drags them out with his feet!
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre. when I was a teenager that was the ONLY sort of movie theater in town! (the nearest cinema was an hour down the road in the next town)
55. Been in a movie. ... unless a "home movie" counts - lol
56. Driven the Great Ocean Road. can't remember if I was ever actually the one doing the driving there, but I have been along it as a passenger lots of times.
57. Started a business.
58. Taken a martial arts class. did Aikido for a couple of years, and a class or 2 of a few other ones here and there.
59. Visited Norfolk Island. only in cyberspace (via someone's blog - lol)
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Guide biscuits.
2. Gone whale watching. have never gone to the coast/beach specifically to do that, but I have seen whales from the shore a few times when I have been at the beach/coast anyway.
63. Got flowers for no reason. DD used to pick flowers and then give them to me when she was a kid - but there was always a reason - because she wanted to pick them, but then got sick of carrying them!
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma.
65. Gone jet boating. I did go on one of those "James Bond boats" - kind of like a canoe with an outboard motor, with the propeller on the big long pole, when I was in Thailand a long time ago.
66. Visited Port Arthur. I stayed there for 3 weeks and did some volunteer archeaological stuff, back in the early 80's
67. Bounced a cheque. not intentionally but I think one that DH and I wrote did bounce once, when the bank made a mistake (didn't transfer money they should have or somesuch)
68. Flown in a helicopter.
69. Saved a favourite childhood toy. I tried to once, but Mum wouldn't let me (it was a dirty falling apart teddy bear and Mum decided that it was getting chucked out no matter what and I was too little to have any say in the matter)
70. Visited the Australian War Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar. it was called caviar but I am not sure if it was the real stuff or just some other sort of fish roe ... it all tastes yummy though
72. Pieced a quilt. several - lol and quilted some and designed a few too ... even the dog has one
73. Stood in Federation Square. which one? (there is one here in Canberra - has a few crafty/touristy shops around it ... )
74. Been on the Murray River. been IN it too ... and over it on a bridge and "punt" (what they call the ferries that take cars across it in a few places in South Australia)
75. Been fired from a job. got a better one a day or 5 later ... lol
76. Travelled, or climbed, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. been over it in cars/etc and have walked across it too, but have not done the bridge climb tour.
77. Broken a bone. (my nose, and I only knew it was broken because I had an x-ray ... was just a hairline crack so nothing needed to be done to fix it)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. breaking the speed limit? - I think DH might have done that once or twice while I was on the back - he generally doesn't do that. Going fast - lots of times on the back with DH ... and did 100km/hour myself the other day when I picked up MY new one from the shop! (yes - I have just got my motorcycle learners permit)
79. Seen the Three Sisters at Echo Point, Katoomba. I think I saw those once - I vaguely remember going for a drive up there with someone once years ago
80. Published a book. I have published a lot of blog posts - probably enough for a book - lol ... and when I was off at uni I wrote a 25 page letter to Mum once or twice! (I didn't write a short one every week like normal people - I kept adding bits to the same one and never getting around to finishing it and posting it until I had been adding bits for a few weeks!)
81. Visited St Mary’s Cathedral, in Sydney.
82. Bought a brand new car.
83. Been to Hermannsburg. the one near Alice Springs, not the one overseas ...
84. Had your picture in the newspaper. Years ago, on the back page of the Adelaide Sunday paper, holding an albatross! ... and recently I was in the social pages of the Sunday Canberra Times - wearing a weird crochet outfit I made and modelled at a textile exhibition ...
85. Read the entire Bible. read quite a few bits of it but not the whole thing
86. Visited Parliament House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
88. Had chickenpox. yes ... when I was 31! LOL
89. Saved someone’s life. not that I know about - but sometimes a seemingly small action/word/etc can save a life without the person who said/did it ever knowing that it did ... and who knows how many lives are saved by people sticking to OH&S rules at work/road rules/etc and preventing what could have been a nasty accident?
90. Sat on a jury.
91. Met someone famous.
92. Joined a book club.
93. Lost a loved one. grandparents and in laws ...
94. Saved a pet. does catching an escaped stick instect and putting it back in the box where it's food (gum leaves) and water are count? ... or taking the cat to the vet when she has an abscess/etc that might have killed her if not treated?
95. Been to the site of the Eureka Stockade. We went to Ballarat a few times when I was a kid, so we probably went there ... but I don't remember for sure ...
96. Swum in The Whitsundays.
97. Been involved in a lawsuit.
98. Owned a mobile phone.
99. Been stung by a bee. a few as a kid, and even got stung by a dead one once! (I was swishing water around in a paddle pool and there was a dead bee floating in there and I brushed my finger against it before I saw it - and must have touched the "pointy end" - because I felt the sting prick me but it didn't stay stuck in and only itched a little bit rather than the usual very itchy for a few days thing)
100. Read an entire book in one day. lots of times - that is how I prefer to read books - all at once!

hmmmm - that was a fun trip down memory lane!
... a few things there I have not done and want to do, a few I don't want to do (those are pretty obvious - the hobbible ones like getting food poisoning etc) and quite a few i have done and want to do again!

oops - I was going to walk the dog during sunset this evening - but I think the sun might have set already! ... I had better go while it is still a bit light and not too cold (not that the dog cares about either, or I really mind if it is dark - but if I don't go now I won't get back in time to go get DD from work ... )

(the time on my posts is usually the time I start them, unless I change it - I just changed this one to the time it is now)

btw - Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Andrea

    Good to see your meme - and catch up on you. Thanks for visiting my blog
    Janet McK

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)