Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Saturday, January 13, 2007

"Take a Stitch Tuesdays" ... my yearquilt?

Hmmm ... I have more UFOs (UnFinished Objects) than all the episodes of "The X-Files" ... but here I am starting something else ... as usual ...
So what is my excuse this time? - well ... this person - http://inaminuteago.com/blog/index.php - has challenged everyone/anyone to "Take a Stitch Tuesday" ... every week this year she is going to post something about a stitch/etc (an embroidery stitch or whatever that one would use on things like crazy quilt blocks or samplers etc) and those who want to join in then go and have a play with that stitch and see what they come up with ... so of course I said I would join in ...

This is what I said in the comment I left on her blog -

I am not sure WHEN I will fit this in, but I can't resist a challenge ;-)
so - I will try and do each week's stitch ... eventually.
I will try and do all the weekly stitches/whatever but they might not all get done during the week they are supposed to be for (knowing me, I will probably post my pictures of them a few at a time every few weeks) but I will try not to get too far behind - it will be a good excuse to post something to my blog a bit more often than I have been doing :-)
Now all I have to do is actually FIND something to stitch with and something to stitch ON ... at the moment I am in the middle of a huge sort out of my sewing room (and the rest of the house and the garage too!) I know where my threads/etc are but I don't have a crazy quilting project on the go that I could use for this, and didn't have plans to start one right now ... but I can stitch on something now and work out what to do with it later, so I am sure some interesting fabric will turn up amongst the mess, and tell me to stitch on it ...

Of course I was still deciding what to do when the first Tuesday (Herringbone stitch) came and went, and when the second Tuesday (Buttonhole stitch) came, I still had not made anything to stitch on (although I did have half an idea what I was going to do) ...
When I thought of what to do, I also decided to make it double as my "yearquilt" - I am on a yahoogroup for people doing yearquilts ... most people do things like choose a design/quilt block/etc and then choose a bit of fabric to represent each day and use those bits of fabric to make the blocks/quilt (some people do a block for each week or month, others do rows of rectangles/etc and others do a hexagon/etc for each day and join them all up into a quilt ... of course the year I got around to doing one (turned out to be an interesting year to do it - 2003 - with the Canberra bushfires and all sorts of stuff happening), I did something totally different and chose a little triangular scrap of fabric for each day, with the idea of laying them all out in a wiggly line across a background and sewing them down with lines of quilting, and calling it "365 Daze" ... I chose a fabric for each day, and wrote in my diary about those that had anything significant to write about (there were a few boring days/weeks where all I did was go to work and not much else, so I chose some nice scraps I had got from various people/places for those) ... but they are all still pinned to a bit of styrofoam ready and waiting for me to actually make the quilt ... I might do that one year ... I want to do it now but I am still in the middle of sorting out my sewing room and the garage (yes - the same sort out I was blogging about at this time last year! - I never did get it finished!)
er ... where was I? LOL
Oh yes - the thing I am going to do my weekly Tuesday stitch on - I had the idea of making 6 crazy blocks and either doing 2 months of stitches on each one, or stitching on whatever one each week's stitch would work best on, and then making them into a quilt ... but when I had the first block 3/4 done last night, I decided that more than 2 months would fit on a block, and I had thought of something else to use the block for - I noticed that if I "just add a bit more to this side and finish that bit" it would be the right size to fit on the lid of a box I had lying around ... so here it is, lying on the open box:



... also in the box are the threads that I will probably use to do the stitching with ... the box just happens to be handy to use to put the block and threads and other sewing bits in while I work on it, and when it is finished, I will probably use the box for other small sewing projects. The block will go on the top of the lid, and I might line the inside with fabric and do some more stitching on that, depending just what sorts of stitches get posted and if I run out of room on the top ... although if it gets a bit crowded with stitches/etc after a few months I will probably make it a 6 month quilt and then do the stitches on something else for the other half of the year ...

Now that I have done all the typing I guess I had better put the photo in ... which I can't do until I actually put it ON the computer ... (I only just took the photo a few minutes ago, while I was writing this stuff - I am at the computer in my sewing room and the block/box/etc are on the sewing desk beside me ;-)
Actually, putting the photos from the camera onto this computer was what I came in here to do - I took more than 50 photos of the sunset this evening! (I took a heap of the dog and cat etc too - I think I took about 100 pictures in about half an hour or so ;-)... but I decided to post to my blog while I was here ... so of course I ended up starting this first ... LOL

ok ... photos are on the computer ... hmmm ... the silvery grey bit in the middle of the block does not stand out quite that much in real life ... and yes it is a weird mix of all sorts of odd black (and dark grey) fabric ... hopefully it will look good with silver and "jewel coloured" stitching on it (Jewel colours is what a lot of quilters call those nice bright shiny pinks, purples, blues, greens etc that look so good on/with either a black or white background)

I thought about putting a dog photo (or maybe even the video I took of the dog ingoring the cat having a dust bath right in front of him on the back lawn) here too ... but, apart from a Christmas card, I have not posted anything to Spot since about June, so I might put it/them on there ... so I suppose I had better go do that now ...

Goodnight ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)