Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Another Dozen Eggs

No ... not in a carton, and not from chooks ... or any bird for that matter ...


Yes ... almost the same as the 7 eggs I just posted about in my previous post here ... same size/shape/etc ... but these ones have white stuff on them (maybe the others did when they were first laid too?)

... and this time - I know who laid them!

but first - let's go back to the beginning - which, incidentally, was about 15 minutes after I finished "publishing" my last post - I said I was going out to sort out/tidy up some more stuff under the pergola, and that is what I did ... I was "knee deep" in boxes of stuff when I heard this rather loud buzzing noise, approaching me from behind ... I thought it might be a big mud wasp or one of those huge flies I have seen around here sometimes ... but it was this bug!

yes ... of course I had to pick it up ... it was the best way I could think of to get a decent photo without it crawling away too fast ;-)

Yes, I know - some bugs/things bite - but this one happily crawled onto my finger when I put it in front of where it was walking ... which is usually a good sign that it isn't too likely to get aggro at me and try to defend itself against a percieved threat ... or something like that ... (hmmm is there such a thing as bug psychology? :-)

I tried to get some photos from some other angles - especially head on (that view usually makes an interesting photo) - but it kept turning around before I could get the camera to focus ... then if flew away and landed on a box of stuff ... so I picked it up and tried again ... and it flew off and landed with a plop into the dog's water bucket! ... so I fished it out (with my finger ;-) and put it on one of the posts that holds up the pergola ... and this is the best front on photo that I could get ...

That was when it had finally decided to stand still ...

and that was when I noticed that it was rubbing it's backside on the post ... and I thought to myself - "it looks like it is about to lay eggs" ... and I was right ...

She laid some eggs ...

and she kept laying eggs ... (while I kept taking photos ;-)

and, because my digital camera has a video mode, I even took some video of it ... she had laid about 9 or 10 eggs before it occured to me to go get the tripod and use it (close up video while squatting down beside a post with the camera tends to result in movies that make the veiwer seasick! ... so I will spare you from those!)

So ... Youtube willing ... (hmmm ... I should have done this first - it is going to take ages to upload the video there) ... here is some video of the bug laying an egg ...






and now ... I should have gone to bed about 3 hours ago ...

...and for those who are looking for my "Take A Stitch Tuesday" stuff, that I WAS going to blog about tonight (until I saw that bug lay her eggs ;-)
- that will have to wait until tomorrow (er ... later today? ... if I come in here and do it BEFORE midnight, for a change ...

3 comments:

  1. This is WAY more interesting than any TAST samples you would be putting up...*S*

    Wouldn't it be nice if you could see those hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea

    I have just joined SCQuilters web ring and I am popping in to say hello - Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.... interesting stuff 'Autlau' This afternoon I was cleaning out one of The Scot's sheds, and came across these millions of zillions of millions of ants. Only tonight I was wishing I had taken photos. And now I see yours, my camera will be out there with me tomorrow. Happy sorting of the Pergola...hOps

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)