Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sorry

Sometime in the not so distant past some Australians did some pretty horrible things to some other Australians ... I wasn't born yet, but it is possible that some of those who did those things were my ancestors ... things were different back then, and I guess they had their reasons, and they may or may not have known (or cared) what effect it would end up having, but either way, those who had those things done to them have been asking, for several years now, for our government to say Sorry ...

It needed to be said.

It has now (finally) been said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/kevin-rudd-says-sorry/2008/02/13/1202760342960.html

Now let's move on ...

and by that, I don't mean lets do nothing/forget about it, I mean lets keep going and fix what needs to/can be fixed (if anyone knows how?) and help our nation move on to greater things ... in other words, I hope today's "sorry" isn't just an empty word - hopefully we can all make it mean something ...

and, no, I am not talking about just throwing some money around and hoping it will all go away - that hasn't worked yet, so why would it start working now?

I had better stop before I start sounding political or something - I am not particularly political - I know next to nothing about most of the stuff that goes on in politics ... but I do know that politics seems to get tangled up with a few more things than it probably should ...

Andrea,
probably "thinking out loud" here ... and probably putting my foot in my mouth or something, knowing me ...

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading your post for the 13th. Very good and open statement. You know that is a problem both Australians and Americans face. I don't know if there is an answer. I do know somehow we need to find a way to over come this. I enjoy your blog. ReneOrgeron in USA

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)