Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Weird ...

Actually, this post is weirder than it was going to be when I first decided to post it ... because while I was logging in to post what is now the second half of this post ... I just had to have my usual peek at a couple recently updated blogs, and the latest couple of "blogs of note" that are listed on the log in page, and I found this ...
http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/
... that is definitely weird (but - if you have read any other posts in my blog, you will know that I LIKE weird ;-)
This is almost one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas ... put a red paperclip on your website and offer to swap it ... swap it for a fish shaped pen, swap that for a door knob ... etc until his last swap got him a small delivery van/truck!! I think there are a lot of people doing that sort of thing now ...

hmmm ... I wonder what I can put up here to swap ... a green paperclip came to mind, but I want to start with something a bit more original ...

... and his Mum has a blog too - http://funfuncolleen.blogspot.com/ - lol (her "Cuban diet" and the snowflake story are both worth reading)

He also has another blog ... just as weird/interesting as the other one - http://www.messageinabarrel.blogspot.com/
someone else did think of that one first - there is a 200 year old "post office barrel" on Galapagos island ... where people can drop in postcards, and they can take out postcards and look and find one addressed to somewhere they are travelling to/live near and hand deliver it ... it started off as a "mailbox" for sailors to drop letters in and collect and deliver letters that were for sailors/their family/etc in ports that their ship was going to be visiting ...

now ... I suppose I had better actually post what I logged in here to post!

My DH (Dear Husband) has subscribed to a free e-newsletter thingy, called Universe Today (www.universetoday.com) ... and when he reads them he then dumps them into my "Andrea" folder for me to read (the "Andrea" folder is my "inbox" - we have different e-addys but the mail all comes to the same computer and gets sorted into folders using the "message rules") ... anyway ... today I found an interesting article (or two) in there ... they are also on the website (in fact only the short version is in the newsletter - you have to visit the website if you want to know more)
This - http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/suitsat_satellite.html?2612006 - is an article about "the world's weirdest satellite" - they have turned an old space suit into a satellite and are going to chuck it out the airlock of the International Space Station in a few days time ... and for a day or 2 (until the batteries run out - lol) it will be transmitting a signal that people can listen to here on Earth ...
hmmm ... I wonder if have an FM radio that picks up 145.990 MHz ?

Of course, while I was there, I had a look at a few other articles ... was just wondering about this the other day, and here ( http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/advance_mars_rovers.html ) is the answer - one of those Mars rover thingys has been driving around on Mars for 3 years now! (and the other one has been going for over 2 years - pretty good seeing they were originally designed, and expected to last, for only 3 months!)
... I am not sure I like the lastest proposed Mars mission though - http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn8637-wrecking-ball-could-break-the-ice-on-mars.html - "hey - let's drop a quarter tonne copper ball onto the surface of Mars and see what we can blast off from the surface" doesn't sound like an environmentally sound thing to do to a planet ... LOL
... it kind of sounds a bit like a cave man wandering over the hills from his cave and finding another cave, and wondering if anything/one is in it, so he chucks a rock at it!
(it also sounds pretty normal for our species - humankind is good at practicing archaeology with a buldozer ... LOL)
hmmmm ... maybe, for the sake of mankind, I hope there are NOT any intelligent beings living under the surface of Mars ... because if our way of saying "hello - anybody home?" is to chuck stuff at them - I don't think they will want to be our friends ...

I suppose I should go back to bed and get some sleep ...
yes - I actually went to bed at a decent hour, read a short book ... actually it was a pile of printed pages (an online book that DH found and printed out because it is a bit hard to take a computer to bed for bedtime reading - lol) ... I finished the book at about Midnight ... then I couldn't sleep - DH was snoring ... sigh ... so I got up again ... if he has trouble getting me to wake up/get out of bed in time to go to the market as early as he wants to in the morning - then that is HIS problem ... lol

I might see if I can find that online book first ... and check a couple of other e-mail folders (the e-mail from the yahoogroups I am on gets sorted into it's own folders too) in case there is any interesting e-mail in them ... lol






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)